Friday, August 17, 2012

2 Weeks to Go


This week, Mark and I and Lauren and Samantha have been up at our chalet in Collingwood.  We got there on Wednesday and Mark and I went for a ride up the Scenic Caves Road.  It’s a route that takes you up to the top of the Niagara Escarpment.  The climb is really tough, 4 km at a steady 8-12% climb.  It was really tough, I had to stop a couple of times but I was able to ride to the top.  Once we got up there, the views were beautiful and the ride down and home was wonderful except for the thunder and lightening storm we encountered.  We took refuge in a school bus depot until Lauren and Samantha could come and rescue us!!! Thank you girls.

Yesterday we played golf with my brother and sister in law and my niece Carrie at their course, the Georgian Bay Club.  If you ever get a chance to play golf at this course, take it.  What a nice day and evening we had with them.  Thanks guys.

This morning Mark and I went for another bike ride.  Mark meticulously planned our route and once again we climbed the Niagara Escarpment, but this time we climbed for about 8km at an average grade of 5-8%.  I liked it way better than Wednesday’s climb.  I’m going to get a new cassette with a bail out gear before we head to Ride the West.  Mike Munk the tour leader is recommending it for me because I’m weak on hills above 8% and hopefully that will help.

We have a very busy couple of weeks coming up.  We are going to take Samantha to Colgate next week and then on Friday next week, Lauren leaves for her semester abroad in London.  We are also going to run down to New York to see Adam for 2 days before we leave on our bike trip.  There should be time for a couple more training rides but that’s it.  I’m growing weary of the training and am anxious to get started already.

So, there are 2 weeks to go before we leave.  I’m nervous and excited at the same time.  This adventure should be amazing.  I’m looking forward to seeing Mark’s buddies from his across America ride and getting to know them all better.  I’m looking forward to the challenges ahead and the sense of accomplishment at the end of every day. I just hope everyone at home stays healthy while we are gone and that we stay healthy out of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment